Monday, July 20, 2020

You have to start somewhere.

When I was a child, neither coloring nor painting--even by numbers--was one of my bags.

"Jackson Pollock Seizing" is the best way to describe my style in those rare forays into the visual arts.

So when the first miniatures arrived and I realized I was going to have to paint them....hoo, boy.

Base-coating is a breeze.

The detail work is forcing me to develop something I have never had: a light touch.

So I figured "why not start your very first miniature painting with something ridiculously-intricate like a Techmarine?"

After a harsh "Delete" of a first draft with paint thinner, I decided to switch gears (rimshot!) and try some detailing. 

I focused on the metallic tools, breastplate and Mechanicus right pauldron. I am going to make his powerpack red, too. But he's going to be an Ultramarine tech nerd when I am finished.

The bright light shows I need some extra dabs in spots. But so far I am...not appalled.






1 comment:

  1. Basic for all figures; Apply base coat. Use dark color washes over base color, then dry brush with the base coat color, then highlights with brighter color of the base coat. Add white highlights if needed.

    For bright colors like Blood Angel Red and Ultramarine Blue, I prime all figures in white. The white brightens the color

    For dark colors such as Orcs and Goblins, Chaos Dwarfs, etc. I prime with black then dry brush with a dark color then a highlight with a brighter color.

    BTW, I always spray the primers and base coats, then touch up where needed. As far as i'm concerned, they are at least playable at that point.

    This is pretty helpful, but they are undercoated / primed with black which makes the figures dull. https://youtu.be/_odi1c7ErCg

    ReplyDelete

Be reasonably civil. Ire alloyed with reason is fine. But slagging the host gets you the banhammer.

The Secret to Thriving during the Eastern Great Lent.

A couple secrets, actually. The first is Lebanese and Syrian cooking. At our new Melkite parish, the Divine Liturgy has been followed by Len...