Thursday, April 08, 2021

Marie Kondo-ing your spiritual life.


 

There was a time not so long ago when if I had seen the Pontifical Academy for Life [sic] eulogizing Hans Kung [may God grant him the mercy I seek for myself] I would have been beside myself. 

Now I see it and say: yep. Just another Tuesday in Gangland


Of course the made men are going to toast each other--they're at the top and they're going to enjoy it. At some level, it's like getting angry at a dog taking a leak on a lamppost. It's what they do.

How did I reach this place of relative equanimity?

It's simple. I followed the Marie Kondo method: I am tidying up my spiritual life and discarding things which do not spark joy. 

And there is nothing coming from Rome which is worthy of attention unless I choose to attach importance to it. Stoicism--yeah, more than a bit.

But that's where I am: prayers for the church and pope in the rosary and liturgy and that's it. 

No intensive scanning of apostolic exhortations, CDF declarations, etc. 

Because here's the reality--the last seventy years have taught us that everything is provisional. Today's authoritative encyclical is tomorrow's memory hole ash. The catechism comes with a bottle of white-out. The laity don't have to "receive" anything they don't like. 

Orwell died a decade before Vatican II, but he would certainly have recognized the three generations of double-think which have followed. And likely laughed quite heartily at his bete-noire Minitrue-ing itself. 

You know what applause-hungry nobles who crave attention hate the most? Being ignored. 

Try it.

 

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean. I've just taken to thinking about what is required of me- prayer, attendance, acts of mercy, etc- and have stopped paying too much attention to, well, everything. I miss the days before the internet and social media, when the Pope was just some guy who appeared on a balcony in Rome from time to time and told the crowd 'I love you, and I love you, and I love the little babies etc'. Weighing, evaluating and going over their every word, whether you agree or not, is a grinding experience, and wore me out a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here, I tried to avoid all that during Lent, with the exception of The American Catholic. I still spent too much time reading about temporal stuff instead of the stuff about eternity. Gotta work more on that. God bless all here.

    ReplyDelete

Be reasonably civil. Ire alloyed with reason is fine. But slagging the host gets you the banhammer.

The Secret to Thriving during the Eastern Great Lent.

A couple secrets, actually. The first is Lebanese and Syrian cooking. At our new Melkite parish, the Divine Liturgy has been followed by Len...