Sunday, March 04, 2007

What does anyone really expect from Coulter, anyway?

About once a year, she says something inexcusable from a high-profile, maximum-publicity pulpit. Coincidence? She cares as much about the impact she has on conservatives as a hurricane does about property values.

The outrage is in large measure appropriate, though part of me thinks it's mighty convenient. Many of the people currently in high dudgeon still think "godbag" is high-larious.

With that in mind, I have the perfect response for GOP candidates, personally approved by John Edwards himself:

The tone and the sentiment of some of Ann Coulter's comments personally offended me. It's not how I talk to people, and it's not how I expect the people who work for me to talk to people. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but that kind of intolerant language will not be permitted from anyone on my campaign, whether it's intended as satire, humor, or anything else. But I also believe in giving everyone a fair shake. I've talked to Ann; she has assured me that it was never her intention to malign anyone's sexuality, and I take her at her word. We're beginning a great debate about the future of our country, and we can't let it be hijacked. It will take discipline, focus, and courage to build the America we believe in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be reasonably civil. Ire alloyed with reason is fine. But slagging the host gets you the banhammer.

The Secret to Thriving during the Eastern Great Lent.

A couple secrets, actually. The first is Lebanese and Syrian cooking. At our new Melkite parish, the Divine Liturgy has been followed by Len...