Wednesday, May 23, 2007

The twilight struggle.

CourageMan weighs in with a powerful post about the spiritual struggle, leavened with insightful quotes from St. Josemaria Escriva. My favorite St. quote:

"A Christian is not a neurotic collector of good behaviour reports."

Here's a handy insight of mine into the male psyche, as I near 38 years sans umbilical cord:

Men are instinctive Pelagians. We don't want help, we don't need help.

I can solve this.

No big deal.

I can do this just fine, thank you.

I'm OK, really.

I'll manage: I always do.

I'm fine.

If I wanted your damned "help" I'd ask you for it, now go away and leave me the Hell alone!

There's a stubborn pride in that, and it often serves me well. But in the wrong situation, it can be a killer. There's going to be a lifetime spent learning this. Moreover, I couldn't learn it at all without grace--no matter how hard I might try.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be reasonably civil. Ire alloyed with reason is fine. But slagging the host gets you the banhammer.

The Secret to Thriving during the Eastern Great Lent.

A couple secrets, actually. The first is Lebanese and Syrian cooking. At our new Melkite parish, the Divine Liturgy has been followed by Len...