Thursday, May 03, 2007

Havens.

Steve Skojec and Jeff Culbreath have good posts on finding safer places and building on them. I especially like the idea of integrating into a healthy existing community and going from there. Trying to build one up from zero is a recipe for failure (sorry, Ave Maria Town residents). There's something inorganic and hopelessly utopian about such endeavors, and I can't help but think that circular firing squads are inevitable.

I'd also like to put in a plug for small towns far from the madding 'burbs, especially for those of us (coughmecough) who can't picture themselves trying to grow anything on a regular basis. Most of the benefits and better livelihood prospects for most of us.

OTOH, Bob Mould's It's Too Late cues up when I think about the getaway, but YMMV. I go through life accompanied by a black dog that I end up scrapping with on a regular basis. The good news is that it has more scars than I do, so feel free to ignore my bleak notes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be reasonably civil. Ire alloyed with reason is fine. But slagging the host gets you the banhammer.

The Secret to Thriving during the Eastern Great Lent.

A couple secrets, actually. The first is Lebanese and Syrian cooking. At our new Melkite parish, the Divine Liturgy has been followed by Len...