Tuesday, February 08, 2022

I saw two Oscar-nominated films over the past year.

Which is more than in most years.

As the song says...

I have seen Belfast and Encanto. I previously raved about the former, and now can put in a few good words for the latter.

Encanto is a "small" Disney movie, focusing on family dynamics instead of overblown themes, and is welcome for it. It features the Madrigal family, guardians and beneficiaries of the bequests of a magic candle that has created a safehold for refugees in the mountains of Columbia. Each member of the family is gifted with a magical power by the candle--except for Maribel Madrigal, who was denied (seemingly) such a power. 

The effects of the powers and lack thereof on the family members are explored with a light but knowing touch: no one likes feeling like an outsider in one's own family, and the burdens of guiding and protecting the family are heavy and leave their own scars. With a lively score by Lin Manuel Miranda, it's worthwhile. 

Warning for parents: while your kids may not talk about Bruno, I can gare-own-tee they will sing about him. 

Incessantly. It's the new "Let It Go."

 

3 comments:

  1. Dune is the only one I have seen, as I have somehow only seen bits and pieces of Encanto, even if I have heard enough about Bruno. I actually managed to see all but one from two years ago, but the last 2 years, as most of the past decade+, has been forgettable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you like Dune? I have heard great things about it from my daughters, so I am curious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked Villenueve's "Blade Runner 2049," just to give you a heads-up.

    ReplyDelete

Be reasonably civil. Ire alloyed with reason is fine. But slagging the host gets you the banhammer.

The Secret to Thriving during the Eastern Great Lent.

A couple secrets, actually. The first is Lebanese and Syrian cooking. At our new Melkite parish, the Divine Liturgy has been followed by Len...