Thursday, October 22, 2015

My new fave.

I am rather fond of unexpected covers of songs. Some manage to elevate the source material (Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt comes to mind). Trent Reznor admitted that after he heard Cash's cover, it felt like seeing his girlfriend walk off with another guy: it was now a Johnny Cash song.


  

But some artists work in an entirely different way, sending it up and exposing just how awful the original was. Alanis Morisette's cover of "My Humps" is a brilliant example of this:


And then there's Richard Cheese and Lounge Against the Machine. This band is the brainchild of Mark Jonathan Davis, and dares to ask the question: what would current rock and R&B songs sound like after being filtered through the stylings of a highly-mannered 70s lounge singer and his ensemble? Here is their cover of "Baby Got Back."


Good luck getting that one out of your skull. You'll never hear the original the same way again.

3 comments:

  1. His cover of Hurt is phenomenal. The accompanying video just adds to the raw emotion of Cash.

    I'm a pretty big Cash fan. His cover of Depeche Modes "Your own personal Jesus" really rocks, IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wife laughs at me because I'm a fan of Alanis Morissette -- I guess she thinks it's funny because, to her, it seems out of character for me. But it's stuff like that cover "My Humps" and the accompanying video that makes me admire her art. She's unique and darkly humorous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been to two of her concerts, to my own very great surprise (my wife is a huge fan).

      Alanis is an impressive talent, no doubt.

      Delete

Be reasonably civil. Ire alloyed with reason is fine. But slagging the host gets you the banhammer.

The Secret to Thriving during the Eastern Great Lent.

A couple secrets, actually. The first is Lebanese and Syrian cooking. At our new Melkite parish, the Divine Liturgy has been followed by Len...