Monday, November 09, 2015

Forty years gone.

Hard to believe, but today is the fortieth anniversary of the beginning of the final voyage of the Edmund Fitzgerald

I doubt I'll be able to top what I wrote about her ten years (!) ago, so I won't try. I'll just point you to that piece, one of the earlier posts I'm most proud of.

I'd also be remiss if I didn't point you to the truly excellent Detroit News commemoration page, which collects a number of fine links.

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel has a moving essay from the brother of the Fitz's cook, Allen Kalmon. 

Finally, credit where it is due--one of the main reasons the Fitzgerald still haunts is the immortal ballad from Gordon Lightfoot.


May God rest their souls, and be with all the sailors on the Lakes. 
 


4 comments:

  1. From a previous post of yours on the Fitzgerald tragedy: "What is heartening is that there hasn't been a major ship loss on the Lakes since the Fitzgerald (previously, there had been one every decade as long as records have been kept)."

    I'd like to think that the men of the Fitzgerald have been special intercessors for those who have sailed on the Lakes in the decades since.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't argue against that. I think you're on to something.

      Delete

Be reasonably civil. Ire alloyed with reason is fine. But slagging the host gets you the banhammer.

The Secret to Thriving during the Eastern Great Lent.

A couple secrets, actually. The first is Lebanese and Syrian cooking. At our new Melkite parish, the Divine Liturgy has been followed by Len...