Monday, December 15, 2003

"Heend al-Busharif, 14, of Detroit waved an Iraqi flag and recited the names of dead relatives: 'He killed my uncle, my grandpa, my grandma, my cousin. He had my mom in jail and a gun to my father’s head,' she said."

Metro Detroit's sizeable Iraqi community was, as might be expected, joyous yesterday. It was snowy and cold in these parts, too, which should give you an idea of the enthusiasm of the celebrants. I've heard it said that there isn't an Iraqi family in Detroit--Catholic or Shiite--that can't list relatives killed by the regime.

I believe it.

Military families were also cheered by the news. This article pretty well sums up the attitude of the Price family, too--which was much happier yesterday than it has been in a month and a half. Still wary and realistic, but happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be reasonably civil. Ire alloyed with reason is fine. But slagging the host gets you the banhammer.

The Secret to Thriving during the Eastern Great Lent.

A couple secrets, actually. The first is Lebanese and Syrian cooking. At our new Melkite parish, the Divine Liturgy has been followed by Len...