Thursday, December 11, 2003

Books for the Washington National Guard.

As many of you know by now, my brother's Guard unit has been called up to active duty and will be deployed to the Sunni Triangle in February 2004.

But until he and his comrades in arms go, they are training stateside. He reliably informs me their free time involves being bored out of their minds. When I went out to see him in November, he requested disposable light reading--paperback sci-fi, fantasy and the like, so I brought him some--Niven and Pournelle's Footfall/Legacy of Heorot and Forstchen's Lost Regiment.

It's proven popular with the rest of the unit, too--the books are getting passed around and devoured by his buddies. Therefore, he put in a request for more.

Approximately a pallet of it.

This weekend, I'm going to try to comply by raiding my local used bookstore. I have some ideas, but, gentle surfers--I'd like some suggestions.

I'm leaning much more toward the light end of the spectrum, but edifying will also be considered. I already gave him the WW2 Catholic military missal (which he assured me will not be in the disposable category), and a Steubenville prayer book, Titles of Jesus (ditto). Doug's an evangelical, so keep that in mind.

Place your suggestions below, and thanks in advance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be reasonably civil. Ire alloyed with reason is fine. But slagging the host gets you the banhammer.

The Secret to Thriving during the Eastern Great Lent.

A couple secrets, actually. The first is Lebanese and Syrian cooking. At our new Melkite parish, the Divine Liturgy has been followed by Len...