Saturday, August 28, 2021

So, I've started reading Thomas Carlyle.

I found a 19th Century anthology a few years back, but hadn't gotten to it because Giant Pile of Other Books. Now, however, I feel compelled to try. Albeit beginning with a shorter paperback anthology, because Fear of Damaging 19th Century Book with Cracked Binding Even Further is a real thing.

So, yes, taking up a Scottish philosopher long eclipsed and in disrepute? You have your mid-life crisis, I have mine.

Anyway, first impression: very evocative, and cares little for what the reader might think. Fun turns of phrase, and a good grasp of historical figures and current affairs.

Also: frequently a verbose, alienating, florid crank yelling into the ether to no good effect who can't bear to edit himself even when he should.


We might get along fine.

1 comment:

  1. Highly recommend his Hero and Hero worship. I stepped off the deep end with Carlyle when I read his French Revolution when I was 12. That was a bit much even for me. Never been able to make it through his Frederick the Great. His style does not mesh well with attempts to reconstruct what occurred on battlefields.

    ReplyDelete

Be reasonably civil. Ire alloyed with reason is fine. But slagging the host gets you the banhammer.

The Secret to Thriving during the Eastern Great Lent.

A couple secrets, actually. The first is Lebanese and Syrian cooking. At our new Melkite parish, the Divine Liturgy has been followed by Len...