Monday, June 18, 2007

Busy.

Went to the Catholic homeschooling conference in Lansing on Saturday. Detroit's newest Bishop, Daniel Flores, celebrated the Mass and gave a superb homily about cultivating a "Marian memory," which offers continuous gratitude to God and bears fruit in a loving service to others. He quoted St. Thomas Aquinas and generally knocked it out of the yard. I'm liking this guy a lot. Some diocese is going to be blessed, indeed.

The conference went well, though the book purchases were limited. To my wife's consternation, I spent all of about $5 on books for moi. I found a political and cultural history of Europe in two volumes that was published in 1936. It covered from the fifteenth century to 1935, and the "modern" chapters were somewhat chilling, depicting a world unaware it was on the brink of a cataclysm. Interestingly enough, Hitler's open anti-Semitism and aggression were obvious by this point, and the author even made reference to "concentration camps" for Jews and other victims of the regime, though the exterminationist agenda was not yet evident at the time of publication.

Sunday was a great Father's Day, with the grilling of mass quantities of bratwurst, the opportunity to be both the vile dragon and the rescuing knight at the treehouse, and generally the BMOC to my kids. Rachel wished me a "Happy Halloween," which is really big stuff if you know about her love for freebies loaded with high fructose corn syrup, and the like.

Nothing's caught my eye lately, and work has me hemmed in a bit, so blogging will be whatever it is. Via Victor, I learned that I got another Washington Times nod in the Culture Briefs section last week. As soon as I get a permalink, I'll post it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be reasonably civil. Ire alloyed with reason is fine. But slagging the host gets you the banhammer.

The Secret to Thriving during the Eastern Great Lent.

A couple secrets, actually. The first is Lebanese and Syrian cooking. At our new Melkite parish, the Divine Liturgy has been followed by Len...