Tuesday, December 15, 2015

1 Corinthians 1:12-13: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

What I mean is that each one of you says, “I belong to Paul,” or “I belong to Apollos,” or “I belong to Cephas,”or “I belong to Christ.”  Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?

One of the many diseases of the modern Church is hero-worship, the seeking after a man on horseback to solve problems. 

The cult of personality invariably follows.

This piece is emblematic of that destructive tendency.

I won't be commenting about the endeavor of Michael Voris and Terry Carroll. Though I will say that Michael Voris was very nice to the American Heritage Girls troop my daughters are in when they visited his studio, and he seems to be a decent man. I know one other person who has helped at CM, and he's also very decent. I have mixed feelings about the apostolate as a whole, but that's not what this post is about.

The most notable thing about the soul-bearing essay is that, at the end of the day, the author is simply switching from one cult of personality to another. He's still identifying himself and his spirituality via a hero-figure--from "Vorisite" to "Barronite."

That's not good, he says with English understatement.

If the young man were interested in my recommendations, I'd suggest that he look for a solid parish men's group or Knights of Columbus council, work in the parish food pantry, and stop putting his trust in media princes.


4 comments:

  1. Codg, that is all well and good but unless Phil Spector is released from prison can it truly be said this is a year of mercy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting comment about the great record producer. I was listening to Ronnie and the girls earlier and texting about the Ronettes with my children. A terrible tragedy. Thank you for reminding me to pray for him. I hope Ronnie does.


      Karl

      Delete
    2. ABS, real Catholic men, like Dale, allow anonymous posts on their blogs. Just tried to add an AMEN to your RIP post and found that I could not.

      Bronx cheer to thee! And three Hail Marys for your conversion to Catholic blogging.

      God bless.


      Karl

      Delete

Be reasonably civil. Ire alloyed with reason is fine. But slagging the host gets you the banhammer.

The Secret to Thriving during the Eastern Great Lent.

A couple secrets, actually. The first is Lebanese and Syrian cooking. At our new Melkite parish, the Divine Liturgy has been followed by Len...