Monday, April 28, 2008

Sometimes, I just get tired of religion, politics and culture.

Warning to Hilary--you may want to linger a little more at Steve's right now.

On to the post.

I have a love-hate relationship with our local quirky NFL franchise.

Stop. That's not accurate.

I have a love- HATE relationship with the Detroit Lions.

Every time I try to get out, they pull me back in.

I didn't get giddy about 6-2 last season, and with good reason. It was a mirage.

But here I am, talking about the draft. As much as it pains me to say it, it appears that Matt Millen's brain grew several sizes on Saturday.

The team has glaring needs, and management took a serious run at addressing them, instead of giving us the glitzy skill position picks.

Gozder "the Keymaster" Cherlius may have been a reach, but they need a right tackle. Jordon Dizon may have been a reach, but they need a space-eating MLB. I have to admit I'm most puzzled by the selection of Kevin Smith at the beginning of the third round, especially given his admitted drug habit and negligible work ethic. But who knows--maybe Silent Bob will surprise us.


I keed, I keed. Sorry, but that one was a hanging curve in my book.

It looks like Millen/Marinelli are trying the most difficult of procedures in the NFL--a heart transplant. The common denominator: these are all motor guys, overachievers with a monomaniacal devotion to football. No "potential" guys with a history of playing softer than their talent suggests they should. That's why Shaun Rogers is in Cleveland, and Charles Rogers and Mike Williams are out of football.

I don't know if they had to staple Millen to his seat to keep him from taking Mendenhall, but it was a smart move to pass. I think Smith will be every bit as good, and have more motivation to succeed.

Looks like a B- draft in my book. Most importantly, it doesn't look remotely stupid.

Feel free to laud/vent about your team's draft in the combox. Slagging is always encouraged.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be reasonably civil. Ire alloyed with reason is fine. But slagging the host gets you the banhammer.

The Secret to Thriving during the Eastern Great Lent.

A couple secrets, actually. The first is Lebanese and Syrian cooking. At our new Melkite parish, the Divine Liturgy has been followed by Len...