Monday, June 20, 2005

To clarify:

No, I am not opposed to singing at Mass. What I am opposed to is the intrusion of busywork into the time-honored custom of space reserved for private prayer.

In fact, I'd like to sing more, and even with the candied ditties I'll take a run, even if I have to edit out some of the words, e.g., refusing to sing the Divine Name. IMHO, the Jewish practice in that respect is absolutely unassailable.

Rare is the time when I stand mute, but I'm forced to do so when it comes to Hosea and Sing a New Church, and the "I myself am" version of Bread of Life. On those occasions, I'd sooner pull my tongue out with a pair of needle-nose pliers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be reasonably civil. Ire alloyed with reason is fine. But slagging the host gets you the banhammer.

The Secret to Thriving during the Eastern Great Lent.

A couple secrets, actually. The first is Lebanese and Syrian cooking. At our new Melkite parish, the Divine Liturgy has been followed by Len...