Wednesday, January 06, 2021

Let me see if I have this right.

 I file with TurboTax and the IRS has no problem routing my stimulus relief payment back in April 2020.

But now I am being told that the IRS, using the very same, entirely-unchanged routing data, might not be able to send me a smaller payment, and I will have to file my 2020 tax return to get that money.

Oh.

Speaking to Newsweek, a spokesperson for Intuit said: "The IRS is the sole party with the ability to determine eligibility and distribute stimulus payments. As part of the income tax filing, the IRS receives accurate banking information for all TurboTax filers who receive a tax refund, which the IRS can use to deposit stimulus payments.

"While the IRS is exploring options to correct their issue, they have stated that this may cause a delay in stimulus payments for some.

"We know how important these funds are for so many Americans and that everyone is anxious to get their money. We are partnering with the IRS to help taxpayers receive their payments as quickly as possible," the spokesperson added.

The Intuit website notes: "For those eligible [for the second stimulus check] but who don't receive the payment for any reason, it can be claimed by filing a 2020 tax return in 2021."

The IRS also said in its Monday statement: "While the IRS is exploring options to correct these payments, if you have not received your full payment by the time you file your 2020 tax return, you may claim the Recovery Rebate Credit on your tax return.

Just exactly what I needed to hear right now. And, of course, if I try to file my return shortly after the opening date, it will be flagged as possible fraud and delayed like it has been two out of the last three years.



1 comment:

  1. I got you beat. I still haven't even gotten my refund, and anytime I try to call I'm sent to the automatic response circle of hell.

    ReplyDelete

Be reasonably civil. Ire alloyed with reason is fine. But slagging the host gets you the banhammer.

The Secret to Thriving during the Eastern Great Lent.

A couple secrets, actually. The first is Lebanese and Syrian cooking. At our new Melkite parish, the Divine Liturgy has been followed by Len...