Friday, June 30, 2006

Great, great quote.

Don't care much for the man and his atrocities, but Confederate General Nathan Bedford Forrest sure could turn a phrase when his dander was up.

To his thankfully-inept commander, Gen. Braxton Bragg, in the aftermath of the bloody Confederate victory at Chickamauga:

I have stood your meanness as long as I intend to. You have played the part of a damned scoundrel, and are a coward, and if you were any part of a man I would slap your jaws and force you to resent it. You may as well not issue any more orders to me, for I will not obey them, and I will hold you personally responsible for any further indignities you endeavor to inflict upon me. You have threatened to arrest me for not obeying your orders promptly. I dare you to do it, and I say to you that if you ever again try to interfere with me or cross my path, it will be at the peril of your life.

I can think of a few holders of pointy hats upon whom I would like to uncork that stream of brilliant vitriol. You?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be reasonably civil. Ire alloyed with reason is fine. But slagging the host gets you the banhammer.

The Secret to Thriving during the Eastern Great Lent.

A couple secrets, actually. The first is Lebanese and Syrian cooking. At our new Melkite parish, the Divine Liturgy has been followed by Len...