Sunday, July 06, 2008

Recognizing the Problem.

Or: the end of Glitterchesis in Marquette, thanks to Bishop Alexander Sample:

I am beginning to hear “rumblings” in some quarters that perhaps I am placing too much emphasis on this area of faith formation and education. In my mind, we cannot place too much emphasis on the proper evangelization, catechesis and formation of our children, young people and adults. Our future as a Church is intimately linked to these efforts.

I truly believe that the Lord has placed into my hands as bishop the task of revitalizing the transmission of the Faith to the adults and future generations of our diocesan Church. As bishop, I am entrusted with the task of proclaiming and teaching the Faith in all its resplendent beauty.

At ordination I was given the responsibility to be the primary teacher of the Faith in the midst of the people of God whom I serve. I cannot be everywhere to teach, but I will one day have to give an account before the Lord for my stewardship of this teaching office. I must do everything I can to see that the people of God entrusted to my care have the tools they need to fully understand and vibrantly live their Catholic Faith.

I come to my episcopal ministry as a child of the late 60’s and 70’s. I know the defects in faith formation and education that were present during that time period in many quarters of the Church. My generation, to a large extent, did not get the foundation in the Faith that we needed to deeply understand and sustain our faith in the midst of a world that grows increasingly secular and devoid of religious and spiritual values.


Brilliant, all over. You can't share what you don't have.

Contrary to the destructive experiment that lasted for two generations, that principle applies to your faith.

[Thanks to Zach Frey for the link.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be reasonably civil. Ire alloyed with reason is fine. But slagging the host gets you the banhammer.

The Secret to Thriving during the Eastern Great Lent.

A couple secrets, actually. The first is Lebanese and Syrian cooking. At our new Melkite parish, the Divine Liturgy has been followed by Len...