Saturday, April 02, 2005

Now he belongs to the ages.

Au revoir, Holy Father. May you receive your crown soon.

He witnessed to Christ to the end, as frequent commenter Terry noted:

I'll admit it. I've been struggling with my faith a bit about the last month or so. I don't know why, but I find it being strengthened by the passing of this man. I don't know if it's the peace he's said to be feeling despite his imminent path; the touching vigils; seeing people of every race, gender, and tongue there to pray for him. I don't know.

But I'm finding it tough too. Perhaps it's the uncertainty and my natural aversion to change. After all, he's the only Pope I've ever known. I also remember all the nasty things I said about him in my non-Catholic days, as well as some of the propaganda I bought into not long after I entered the Church.

And now I've come to realize what he means, who and what he stands for, and how much I'll miss him. And right now, his message really stands out: "Be not afraid..." A couple of more hours to Divine Mercy Sunday Papa. You've suffered in dignity for so long, it would be downright poetic to go home and experience Him Who Is and His divine mercy.

Thanks for this, Terry. And, if you think about it, we both got our wish--there are parts of the Church Universal where it is Mercy Sunday right now.

Other comments and remembrances are welcome here. I'm piecing together a few of my own, too. I simply ask that you remember my rule on this subject. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be reasonably civil. Ire alloyed with reason is fine. But slagging the host gets you the banhammer.

The Secret to Thriving during the Eastern Great Lent.

A couple secrets, actually. The first is Lebanese and Syrian cooking. At our new Melkite parish, the Divine Liturgy has been followed by Len...